THE BRIEF HISTORY OF THE COLLEGE
The earliest predecessor of the Faculty of Commerce, Catering and Tourism of the Budapest Business School was the Academy of Commerce founded in 1857 as the first Hungarian Institute of higher education of commerce. In 1899 this Academy was expanded with the Eastern Academy of Commerce, which was the first college of commerce in the Mid- European region, such as of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
During the seating of the Grand Commercial Body in January, 1856 Mr. József Appiano made his first proposal to the delegation regarding the foundation of a high-level European commercial school. They used the Commercial School in Leipzig as a benchmark and chose the name "Academy of Commerce" after the similar institute in Prague. The opening ceremony took place on lst November 1957.
The building you can see today in the Alkotmány Street, donated by the capital, was handed over to the higher education of commerce in 1885, based on the plans of Mr. Győző Czigler.
Between the two world wars this institute also served both secondary and higher level education, as the High-level Commercial Professional School, where many commercial and bank sector experts were able to graduate.
After the Second World War until 1962, a commercial secondary school operated in the historic building in the Alkotmány Street. After restructuring the education, it first became a high-level professional commercial school, and received the title of College of Commerce and Catering in 1969, based on traditions. The institute received its present name in 1992, also indicating the independent faculty of tourism.
The rise in the number of students made it necessary to establish a separate branch in Szolnok in 1979, where students living mostly in the Eastern part of the country were able to study. In 1993, the Szolnok branch became independent, and is now called Szolnok Business School.
Since 1st January 2000, the institute has been operating as the Faculty of Commerce, Catering and Tourism, as part of the Budapest Business School.
Our predecessors realized in due time that well developed commerce requires highly qualified professionals. Thus in 1857, with the opening of the first Commercial Academy of Pest, they established a basis for our college. 28 years later it was followed by the laying of the foundation stone of the current college building.
The gate opened in 1857 is still open for those who have a desire to learn and those returning to their old Alma Mater. While staying within the walls of the building, the frameworks of commercial education were gradually widened. Scientists and professionals of national and European fame were teaching at the Oriental Academy of Commerce. After the Second World War, in the late late 50's and early 60's, the boom in the local and foreign tourism industry created a strong need for ecoomists with sound theoretical and practical background. Thus the activities of our college were extended by the introduction of catering and hotel programmes, and later tourism education was also commenced. Today we give may opportunities for all students interested to choose the best fitting ways to learn on our programs not only at one place in the country. We have also introduced the English and German language Tourism and Hotel Management program and a German language Commerce program, as well.
The extensive international networks of the Faculty of College enables most of our students to complete their industrial placement period abroad or spend some semesters at a foreign college or university. These allow us to have foreign language and trade teachers as guests on our training programs.
The wide range of course programmes, the integrated but at the same time specific curricula, the variety of teaching methods, our training hotel, restaurant and pub, our training cabinets, tan-inform office, libraries and laboratories provide the necessary conditions for the finding right proportion of theory and practice, and help our graduates in turning their intellectual capital into power.